COVID-19

Chloroquine

• 1.  Chloroquine

Posted 03-19-2020 18:47
    A patient called this afternoon (10 years post OHT) and informed me that he had mild bronchitis 6 days ago with a temp of 99.2.  He went to see his PCP 2 days ago who started Levaquin and sent him for a COVID test.  The test returned positive.  He feels fine and called only because his PCP wanted to start chloroquine.  In realty, for the moment, I suspect that he won't be able to find any chloroquine due to the shortage.  But, if he could find it, is it even appropriate to start chloroquine in a mildly symptomatic patient?  Does anyone know if there are recommendations or guidelines which address this?  Mark

------------------------------
    Mark Jay Zucker
    Newark NJ
    201 970 1653

• 2.  RE: Chloroquine

Posted 03-19-2020 21:12
    Edited by Thomas Kaleekal 03-19-2020 21:29
    Chloroquine is not available in the US as far as i know. He would need hydroxychloroquine ( plaquenil) at 600 bid loading and then 300 bid for 5-7 days. Since he is symptomatic I would say yes it would be appropriate to treat.
    Once it goes from a URTI to an LRTI, it develops fast and patients deteriorate quite quickly to ARDS.
    Data regarding decreasing IS is still iffy out there but may be prudent. Presume 10 years out he is already on minimal IS,  watch Qtc.
    Regards ,
    Tom

[Thomas] [Kaleekal] [MD]
    [Medical Director - Lung Transplant ]
    Newark Beth Israel Medical Center

• 3.  RE: Chloroquine

Posted 03-28-2020 04:25
      |   view attached

Herein attached current Assessment of Evidence for COVID-19-Related Treatments: Updated 3/27/2020.

Antonio

Antonio Loforte
    Dr
    Bologna

Attachment(s)