COVID-19

COVID-19 LuTx

• 1.  COVID-19 LuTx

Posted 03-10-2020 09:58
    ​​As of yet we have had no lung transplant recipients with confirmed COVID-19 in sweden, however the risk of this happening in the future is not insubstantial. LuTx recipients are also likely to be at risk for negative outcomes of this infection. Therefore I pose this question in an open manner, to create some sort of preemptive experience. Do anyone have experience of lung transplant recipients with COVID-19 and if so, what was the clinical course?

Kind regards.

------------------------------
    Jesper Magnusson, MD, PhD
    Gothenburg Transplant Centre.

• 2.  RE: COVID-19 LuTx

Posted 03-11-2020 16:44
    I've received a few mails as a result of this post and I am very grateful to the authors. It is very good to see the willingness to share. It is possible that our local knowledge will increase over the coming two weeks since there have been a spike in questions from referring centers even since yesterday. If we gain any experience of note I'll post it here, in the hope that it would be useful to someone else in the lung transplant community. At least a little more so than in a published text in 3-5 months.

Best wishes to all

Jesper Magnusson
    Gothenburg

• 3.  RE: COVID-19 LuTx

Posted 05-27-2020 06:43
    By now most of you have more experience than us thus my previous message has become partly redundant. However as promised, from what little experience we've had, there has so far been no fatalities or severe permanent loss of respiratory capacity.

Kind regards

Jesper Magnusson MD, PhD
    Sahlgrenska Transplant Centre.

• 4.  RE: COVID-19 LuTx

Posted 07-22-2020 12:37
    To date, we have had 3 COVID-19 infections in our lung transplant patients. Our first was 1 week post-transplant and developed severe respiratory and renal failure. We tried HCQ and azithro without much improvement. She eventually improved with supportive care, though still remains on iHD. Total LOS was about 100 days. Our 2 most recent patients were both > 1 year out from transplant and had milder forms of the disease requiring temporary increases in oxygen support. Both received Remdesivir and convalescent plasma and were discharged upon completion of these therapies.

Brian C. Keller MD, PhD
    Assistant Professor-Clinical
    Columbus OH
    (614) 685-7098
    brian.keller2@osumc.edu

• 5.  RE: COVID-19 LuTx

Posted 07-22-2020 13:01
    We have had one case in a lung transplant recipient thus far. The patient had bilateral lung txp in 2005 with chronic rejection. He was diagnosed about a week ago and thus far is asymptomatic (has unchanged baseline SOB). He was diagnosed as his wife developed symptomatic COVID-19. He is being monitored as an outpatient with frequent telemedicine visits; no specific COVID-19 therapies.
    Best,
    Saima

Saima Aslam
    Associate Professor
    Director, Solid Organ Transplant Infectious Diseases
    University of California, San Diego